Kingston Environment Centre
Kingston Environment Centre is currently run on a voluntary basis and informal callers are welcome to the centre on Friday afternoons when we also have volunteer workshop sessions.
We offer meeting and workshop space, a small kitchen, office resources and a backyard to all kinds of environmental groups based in the borough of Kingston. Leaflets and notices about environmental work are on display and there is a growing resource of environmental information of all kinds.
We have been recognised as the Capital Growth local food lead and support community food growing spaces. We have planted an orchard in Surbiton and are developing the Hogsmill community garden in Kingston.
At the centre we have regular gardening sessions, KUTLETS trading days, Stitch and Chat, Film nights and several other ongoing events.
We have a small reference library from donated books, which we hope will grow and which adds to the homely and welcoming appeal of our meeting room.
Training in KEC Meeting Room
The Centre is run by volunteers directors and part time workers with the kind support of the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames. KEC aims are broadly to support the development of a sustainable Kingston. It is acting as a resource centre for organisations and individuals who are actively working for a sustainable environment. KEC is now a company limited by guarantee, which means it it not-for-profit and with charitable aims and objectives. We are applying for registered Charity status.
Seeding our newly made cold frame
The Kingston Environment Centre is located at the Fountain Roundabout, 1 Kingston Road, New Malden. It is well served by buses from Kingston and is 5 minutes walk from frequent Rail services.
Stitch and Chat - workshop
Aims and Objectives
1) Promoting environmental action and self-empowerment through education, skill sharing, community work and mass media. The Charity aims to increase public knowledge and understanding of the natural environment including how human beings can learn to live without compromising the ability of the planet to sustain future human generations.
2) Facilitating the growth of ethical awareness in our selves, our community and communities linked with our own; valuing fairness, diversity, responsibility, honesty, freedom, dignity, peace, justice, knowledge, health and humour.
1) Provision of meeting rooms, library, knowledge base, catering facilities, office amenities and other resources as appropriate to help meet the needs of environmental charities and voluntary organisations of the borough of Kingston upon Thames.
2) Organising a range of events both within and outside the Environment Centre to educate the public and to encourage participation in the processes leading to a sustainable Kingston.
3) Forging links nationally and internationally to understand and bring to attention initiatives in environmental management. Thereby helping to ensure best practices are adopted within the sphere of influence of the Kingston Environment Centre.
Have your say