The Kingston Environment Centre (KEC) works with local individuals and environmental organisations to secure a sustainable future for Kingston Upon Thames.
Kingston Council allows us to rent this former Youth Centre, former public toilet! We are like the Tardis, bigger and more comfortable on the inside. We support community gardens, conservation sites, cyclists, recycling groups, transition town movements and anyone who has a plan to make Kingston a better place to live and to hand on to our children. We are full of environmental innovations like our energy-saving lights and are gradually making improvements to turn ourselves into a good example of what a sustainable building is!
We are a friendly place, run by volunteers, directors and part-time workers with the support of Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames. We are now a company limited by guarantee, which means it is a not-for-profit organisation with charitable aims and objectives.
We are always looking for more volunteers so please contact us if you would like to get involved. Below our are aims and objectives for our centre as a whole.
Our aims and objectives:
1) Increasing public knowledge and understanding of the natural environment including how human beings can learn to live without compromising the ability of the planet to sustain future human generations.
2) Educating the public in subjects relating to sustainable development. Raising awareness of the prudent use of resources. Sharing practical conservation skills. Researching and disseminating knowledge about the protection and enhancement of the environment.
3) Provision of meeting rooms, library, knowledge base, catering facilities, office amenities and other resources as appropriate to help meet the needs of environmental charities and voluntary organisations of the borough of Kingston upon Thames.
4) Organising a range of events both within and outside the Environment Centre to educate the public and to encourage participation in the processes leading to a sustainable Kingston.
5) Forging links nationally and internationally to understand and bring to attention initiatives in environmental management. Thereby helping to ensure best practices are adopted within the sphere of influence of the Kingston Environment Centre.
6) Facilitating the growth of ethical awareness in our selves, our community and communities linked with our own; valuing fairness, diversity, responsibility, honesty, freedom, dignity, peace, justice, knowledge, health and humour.